Dental Crowns and Bridges
Crowns and bridges are a style of restoration known as fixed prosthetic devices. They are used to restore damaged or extracted teeth but, unlike dentures, cannot be removed once put in place by the patient. These prosthetics are used when the damage to a tooth is too extensive for fillings, or when a large filling has fallen out and will be better replaced with a more complete fixture. The Scarsdale Dental Team provides comprehensive restoration services to our local community under the guidance of Dr. Jesse Hofer. Read on to learn more about crowns and bridges and whether they can restore your smile.
What Are The Benefits Of Restorations Using a Bridge or Crown?
Bridges and crowns bring a distinct host of benefits that make them a popular choice for dental restorations. When compared to fillings, crowns provide superior durability and aesthetics, while bridges share these benefits over dentures.
Dental Crowns Offer The Following Benefits:
- Restoration and protection of dental structure – Weakened teeth, such as those that have undergone root canal treatments, can be reinforced with crowns.
- Aesthetics – Crowns also enhance the appearance of your teeth thanks to their malleability that allows them to be shaped to match your natural teeth. They are also able to be tinted to match your natural dental color.
- Durability – Crowns have a longer lifetime than other restorations, capable of lasting over fifteen years.
Dental Bridges Offer The Following Benefits:
- Functionality – Your ability to chew and eat normally will be restored with dental bridges, and they may improve your clarity of speech.
- Distribution Of Force – These restorations help reduce uneven wear on your teeth by distributing the chewing force to the teeth that support your bridge.
- Aesthetics – These share all the benefits of crowns.
- Durability – Being made of the same high-quality materials as dental crowns, dental bridges offer extended durability.
Questions About Crowns and Bridges For Your Dentist
If you want to learn more about crowns and bridges, consider asking your dentist the following questions during your next visit.
What Goes Into Making a Bridge or Crown?
The first step in creating a bridge or crown is the shaping of the tooth on which it will be mounted. This is followed by the creation of an impression of the reshaped tooth so the restoration can be made by a lab. Once complete, it will be cemented into place.
What Is The Lifespan Of These Restorations?
This type of restoration is incredibly durable, but can still become loose or fall out over enough time. The average lifespan of a restoration is around 15 years, though proper care can extend this.
How Much Do Crowns and Bridges Cost?
The average cost of this restoration is between $1200 and $2400 per tooth, though the price will be based on the specifics of your case.
If you want to learn more about Crowns and Bridges, you can contact the Scarsdale Dental Team to schedule an appointment. Under the guidance of Dr. Jesse Hofer, we’ve been serving our community from our offices at 495 Central Park Avenue in Scarsdale, NY. You can experience a full, functional, and beautiful smile with these restorations, so why wait?